Dr. Ahasan Habib obtained his PhD in Biology (Fish Genetics) from Universiti Brunei Darussalam. He earned double Masters degree, first one is in Marine Science (Aquaculture) from Chittagong University, Bangladesh, second one is in Fisheries and Auaculture Management and Economics from University of Tromso, Norway. He earned his BSc (Hons) in Marine Science from Chittagong University. Dr. Ahasan has been invloved in teaching and research as a faculty member in the Department of Fisheries and Marine Science (FIMS) since 2015. Before joining as a faculty member he worked in WorldFish. His current research interests are on population genetics, fisheries economics and management, and climate change.
- Population Genetics
- Fisheries Economics and Management
- Aquaculture Economics and Management
- Conservation biology and Climate change
PhD in Biology (Fish genetics), Universiti Brunei Darussalam
M.Sc. in Fisheries and Aquaculture Management and Economics, University of Tromso, Norway
MS in Marine Science (Aquaculture), Chittagong University
B.Sc. in Marine Science, Chittagong University
International peer-reviewed journal articles
- Habib, A and Sulaiman, Z (2017). Mitochondrial DNA analyses of narrow-barred Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus commerson) sampled from the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal, and the Indo-Malay archipelago. Zoology and Ecology, Vol. 27 (3–4), 245-250 (SCOPUS indexed)
- Habib, A and Sulaiman, Z (2016). Phylogenetic and morphometric relationships between two species of genus Auxis from the South China Sea and Java Sea. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 35(10), 76-82. (SCOPUS indexed, IF= 0.730, Springer)
- Habib, A., and Sulaiman, Z (2016). High genetic connectivity of narrow-barred Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus commerson) from the South China, Bali and Java Seas. Zoology and Ecology, Vol. 26(2), 93-99. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Habib, A et al. (2016). Size frequency and length–weight relationships of three semi-tropical cephalopods, Indian squid Photololigo duvaucelii, needle cuttlefish Sepia aculeata, and spineless cuttlefish Sepiella inermis from the coastal waters of Bangladesh, Bay of Bengal. Zoology and Ecology, Vol. 26(3), 176-180. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Habib, A et al. (2016). Study on fish marketing and packaging system in Natore, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 2016; 4(5): 651-657
- Habib, A., Ullah, M.H. and Duy, N.N (2014). Bioeconomics of Commercial Marine Fisheries of Bay of Bengal: Status and Direction. Economics Research International, Vol.2014, Article ID 538074, pp.10.
- Habib, A., Das, N.G. and Hossain, M.B (2014). Growth performance and survival rate of Macrobrachium rosenberggi (de man) larvae using different doses of probiotics. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science, 17(7), 920-924. (SCOPUS, ISI indexed)
- Ali, M.M., Hossain, M.B., Rahman, M.A. and Habib, A. (2014). Diversity of Fish Fauna in the Chitra River of Southwestern Bangladesh: Present status, Threats and Recommendations for conservation. Asian Journal of Applied Science, 7(7), 635-643. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Abu Hena M K, Japar Sidik B, Aysha A, Ahasan H and F T Short (2013). Estuarine Macrophytes at Bakkhali, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh with Reference to Mangrove Diversity. Chiang Mai Journal of Science, 40 (4) 556-563. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Habib, A. (2010). Economic impacts on fish stock resources in the case of climate change. pp.64, Germany: LAP, Lambert Academic Publishing (ISBN: 978-3-8433-5748-7).
- Habib, A. (2010). Determination of survival rate of prawn larvae using probiotics. pp.84, Germany: LAP, Lambert Academic Publishing (ISBN: 978-3-8433-6313-6).
Selected Training, Conference, Seminar and Workshop Attended
Training and workshop
Completed a basic Computer Training Course on “Introduction to Computer, Application Packages and Programming” under Bangladesh Computer Council, Bangladesh (Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology). Duration of this course was three months.
Training on DNA sequencing on 31th March’2011 at Faculty of Science, UBD.
MetaSystem and Nikon Training on 23th to 26th May’2011 at HIS, University Brunei Darussalam (UBD), Brunei.
Bioinformatics workshop on 30th October’2011 at HIS, University Brunei Darussalam (UBD), Brunei.
Conference and seminar
Population genetic structure of longtail tuna (Thunnus tonggol) along Wallace’s Line. Wallace Darwin Science Symposium, Hasanuddin University, Makassar, Indonesia. 4-5 Sept’2012.
Regional seminar on ‘New trends in biotechnology and their potential in developing countries’ on 29th Nov’2011-1th December’2011. Organized by ISESCO, Iran at UBD, Brunei
Subjects Taught in Department of Fisheries & Marine Science
- FIMS 2101: Biostatistics
- FIMS 2201: Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Biology
- FIMS 2211: Principles of Marine Biotechnology
- FIMS 3105: Fish Genetics
- ENLA 3101: Environmental Law of Bangladesh
- FIMS 3211: Population Dynamics
- FIMS 4111: Fisheries Resource Economics
- FIMS 5207: Sustainable Aquaculture
- FIMS 5209: Application of Statistics in Aquaculture